Installing AVG 9.0 for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
The installation of AVG 9 takes anywhere up to an hour to complete. Hence when you decide to upgrade to version 9 we suggest you wait until you have the time to do it. If you are still connecting through the internet with a modem then the download will take sometime. You may prefer to bring your computer to town on your next shopping day :-)
You will also need a lot of patience so be warned. None the less once completed AVG works with its normal efficienty.
Preparation for Upgrading to AVG 9
- First print this page out, left click on the Printer Friendly icon above.
- Print out the AVG 9 Maintence page found on the menu.
- Download the small AVG initiating file from Download.com. When asked, save this to your desktop for later.
- Disconnect from the internet if using dialup once completed. This initial download will not take long.
Removal of AVG 8 or 8.5
- Left click Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove.
- Once your software list has appeared left click on AVG and select Remove.
- AVG will begin the uninstall process. When asked tick both boxes that say Remove user settings and Including objects in the virus vault. Once done click on Yes.
- When the uninstall completes you will be asked to restart your computer. Do so.
Installing AVG 9
- Turn on your modem or router if using a broadband connection or dialup your server if using dial up modem. Once connection established, double click on the AVG install icon on your desktop. AVG will check for an internet connection before advancing further.
- In the next window select I want to install free basic protection (AVG Anti-virus free).
- Select Next and wait while AVG downloads the installation files. This will take some time even on a broadband connection.
- Once completed the AVG download window will automatically close, the files will be uncompressed, read in by your computer and the installation window will appear. This will take a few minutes, so dont get impatient and think nothing is happening.
- To begin installation, select I have read the license Agreement and left click Accept.
- AVG will now install all files onto your hard drive, once again wait, it will take a while.
- In the next window select Custom Installation and select Next to proceed.
- In the next window put your User name details and leave the licence number as is. Select Next to proceed.
- In the next window leave the destintation folder as is c:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9 and select Next to proceed
- In the next window if asked, 'Do you wish to create the directory', select Yes.
- In the next window tick all boxes except 'Plug in for Bat' and select Next to continue.
- In the next window, untick 'Set Yahoo as my default search engine' and untick 'Install the AVG Security Toolbar'. You can decide whether you wish to tick either of those, but in our opinion Google is still a better search engine than Yahoo. As far as the toolbar goes, any toolbar is just another plugin to your browser to slow it down and use valuable memory space. Left click Next and wait while AVG installs Supplementary files. Again this will take a while.
- In the next window, expect Updates to be grayed out. Under 'Scans' leave the default to Weekly (Recommended) as this should be sufficent. Select Next to proceed.
- In the next window, untick 'I agree to provide anoymous information.....' and select Finish to close that window.
- In the last window select Optimise with the next scheduled scan. Reason for this is AVG needs to be updated before any scan is attempted.
Installation is now complete. You may delete the initial AVG setup icon off your desktop.
Refer to the AVG 9 Maintenance page for help completing the Live Update and the full system scan.