Malwarebytes Anti-malware is not a substitute for either AVG or Spybot, but more to work in conjunction with them. Malwarebytes will sometimes pick up the odd piece of malware that Spybot has missed. You may download Malwarebytes from their website here: Malwarebytes.org This software has a free version you may use.
To Complete the Online Live Update:
- Click on the Malwarebyte icon found either on your Desktop or in your Start Menu.
- Connect to the Internet if not already connected.
- Click on Update third tab along.
- Click on Check for Updates down on the left.
This will go out and download any updates from Malwarebytes.
A new window will open telling you that the Updates are finished sucessfully.
Select Finish or Ok to complete.
To Complete a Full Scan of your Hard Drive:
- Select the first tab Scanner.
- In this window select Perform full Scan.
- In the next window select the drive you wish to scan. Always select Drive C by ticking the box beside it. You may wish to scan other Drives as well, but the C Drive is the main one.
- Click on Start Scan down on the right.
- This will do a full scan for you.
When complete a small window will open stating so and also advising you to view the results of the scan. Close this windows and on the main page you will now see written: Scanning has completed successfully. The number of objects scanned will be reported plus any objects infected.
- Down on the right, select View Results.
- Tick anything listed in the next window that the scan has found.
- Down on the left bottom select Remove Selected.
- Two windows will open next. One the log file summarizing the scan of which you may read and close.
- The other advising that all items were removed. You may be advised to restart your computer. If so select ok to reboot.
To Clean out Quarantine.
On the toolbar select Quarantine: This will open up your Quarantine for inspection. If there is any malware being held in there, select Delete All to delete them and select Exit to close the Quarantine window.
If you have any problems or queries you could try their Support Forums
Needless to say, if the scan does find malware and is unable to remove it, you will need to ring a tech for advise. Dont ignore this as malware, spyware and viruses have a habit of multipling.