Installing AVG Anti Virus 2011 for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
The installation of AVG 2011 takes anywhere up to an hour to complete. Hence when you decide to upgrade to version 9 we suggest you wait until you have the time to do it. If you are still connecting through the internet with a modem then the download will take sometime. You may prefer to bring your computer to town on your next shopping day :-)
You will also need a lot of patience so be warned. None the less once completed AVG works with its normal efficienty.
Preparation for Upgrading to AVG 2011
- First print this page out, left click on the Printer Friendly icon above.
- Print out the AVG 2011 Maintence page found on the menu.
- Download the small AVG initiating file from Download.com. When asked, save this to your desktop for later.
- Disconnect from the internet if using dialup once completed. This initial download will not take long.
Removal of AVG 8, 8.5 or 9
- Left click Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove.
- Once your software list has appeared left click on AVG and select Remove.
- AVG will begin the uninstall process. When asked tick both boxes that say Remove user settings and Including objects in the virus vault. Once done click on Yes.
- When the uninstall completes you will be asked to restart your computer. Do so.
Installing AVG 2011
- Turn on your modem or router if using a broadband connection or dialup your server if using dial up modem. Once connection established, double click on the AVG install icon on your desktop. AVG will check for an internet connection before advancing further.
- To begin the Installation, tick the box, I have read the license agreement and left click Accept.
- In the next window select AVG Anti-Virus Free and select next.
- In the next window as long as this is a fresh installation of AVG you will be presented with two choices. Select Custom Installation and select Next to proceed.
- In the next window leave the Destintaion Folder as the default. Under the Component Selection leave all ticked plus tick Personal Email Scanner then scroll down to the bottom and tick Plugin for Microsoft Office. Select next to proceed.
- In the next window, untick 'Set Yahoo as my default search engine' and Untick 'Install the AVG Security Toolbar'. You can decide whether you wish to tick either of those, but in our opinion Google is still a better search engine than Yahoo. As far as the toolbar goes, any toolbar is just another plugin to your browser to slow it down and use valuable memory space. Left click Next and in the next window, wait while AVG downloads and installs Supplementary files. Again this will take a while as the download size is around 112mb. Once downloaded it will continue to install and configure itself.
- In the next window, you may enter your details if you wish to receive notification of product updates by email otherwise just leave blank. At the bottom untick 'I agree to provide anoymous information.....' and select Finish to close that window.
- The new AVG icon will turn round and round down by the clock as it starts up. Once started click on Update to live update AVG. Repeat the Update a second time or until AVG states you have all the latest protection. Once this is done you may full scan your computer if you wish.
Installation is now complete. You may delete the initial AVG setup icon off your desktop.
Refer to the AVG 2011 Maintenance page for help completing the Live Update and the full system scan.